Needle Holder Jaw Inspection Maintenance
All needle holder jaws will wear out the tread with normal suturing. Gold-handle needle holder jaws are made of tungsten carbide and can be replaced. Standard needle holder jaws (those without gold handles) cannot be replaced.
- All needle holder jaws will wear out
- All needle holder jaws will wear out at the tips of the jaws first
- All needle holders will crack in the box lock area or the jaw area
- Only gold-handled needle holder jaws can be replaced
- Needle holders should never be sterilized with ratchets clicked and/or engaged
If any bioburden or discoloration is discovered on the jaw or box lock, the instrument must be reprocessed through decontamination. A stiff brush will most likely remove the bioburden. If it’s not clean, it can’t be sterile. It is not appropriate to clean instruments at the assembly table.